What's been happening outside of 'business' - well, L.A. is the same as before. Both scary and exciting all at once... This year I am lucky - I have friends here - old aquaintences, and even some faces from Oz.
There has been a lot of 'star spotting' this year - they must have known I was coming... this morning I had my favourite star encounter - Tricky (Uk/massive attack artist) - sitting next to us at Urth Cafe. Funny, funny man... skinny guy with a haircut like a pineapple and a voice louder than joan rivers. He struck up a conversation with us at lunch because he heard the british accent and proceeded to shout loud enough to embarass the new yorkers at his table... the more they squirmed, the louder and fouler his language got. We, understandably encouraged this...
He then took offense at the look a very blonde, very 'la la' girl gave him. Very snotty - a M.A.W. (Model. Actress. Whatever. - dont quote me on that, it's an old Don Simpson saying)... so, he proceeds to stand directly next to her as if to challenge the look and take pictures of her with his phone... very funny - he's a bastard, but a funny bastard.
Last night was the Beverly Hills Film Festival opening, so I went along to check it out... much like last years, it was full of some great people and some... how should I put this? 'Berets and Squinters' was how I put it last time. People that like to look important, whilst squinting and referencing french movies... there were more tossers than a Salad Makers Convention.
One in particular caught my eye - it wasn't hard as he practically shone a spotlight on himself and announced from a loudspeaker that he was 'A DIRECTOR AND WRITER AND HIS FILM WAS ABOUT TO SHOW NEXT!!!!!!'.
Six foot five, long wavy hair, milan model looks and an ego to match. Imagine if you took Hugh Jackman and Steven Seagal, let them have a fist fight and then compacted them in a mincer - he would be the result once you put them back together. He pushed, cajoled, harangued and generally pissed off most of the people present as he overtook the proceedings with his one man show. He also had a 'rent-a-crowd' of L.A.'s finest for his film and literally snatched tickets from other people to make sure his film would be well received. Oh dear...
So, the film before his starts and as the credits are still rolling, he stands to the side and loudly announces that 'this is taking a bit long'.... pity the poor filmmakers that screened with him. (they were in the audience). So - light go up and he starts announcing (during the other film still rolling : ) "I am the director, I am the writer of ... (title deleted) - Let me introduce you to my actor!!!" - F**K off! it's a short film!! not the academy awards - but nothing would deter him... the film screens - it sucked - every applauded... welcome to hollywood.
I'll continuing dining tomorrow...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment